Thursday, August 19, 2010

My first two barefoot running attempts

08/16/10
 
1st barefoot run. Did 0.6 miles on the treadmill just to try to feel out the form of running barefoot. The belt was a little warm, but easy to run on. Then I just ran about .25 around my block. Just before I stopped my right foot found a nice rock. I have a little bruise on my pad just under the big toe. It’s a little tender, but it hasn’t stopped me from doing anything. I put a little ice on it to keep any swelling down. Otherwise a good first experience!

08/18/10
 
2nd barefoot run. Ran ½ mile, walked 0.3, ran 0.8 totaling 1.5 miles. Felt pretty great! My bruise didn’t bother me at all. I can tell my calves are tight and my feet are a little raw, but not too much. Running felt like stepping on the tar that is put in cracks in asphalt. Surprisingly soft! I could totally tell the difference between concrete and asphalt too. Concrete is way smoother. I had some “hecklers” while I was running. They were telling me to put some shoes on or asking where my shoes were and “You’re going to step on a rock!” comments. It was great! Going to give it a rest for a few days and then back to it.I don't want to go too crazy at first. Don't need any stress fractures! Plus I'm still doing some "shod" running. I have a 1/2 marathon in about 2 weeks. Then we'll see where I need to go from there.
 
 I'm also going to a barefoot running clinic on Monday. I am very excited!! It's with Michael Sandler, author of "Barefoot Running: How to become healthy, fit, and blissful by getting in touch with the earth" and owner of www.runbare.com It's a great site!
  
Until next time...stay bare!
Nice and dirty!
Right after the run!
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment