Monday, October 25, 2010

Vibrams vs Barefoot

So about 2 weeks ago I finally decided to do a test....run in my Vibram Five Fingers and then run barefoot and compare! I ran one mile of each. There were some differences for sure! I first ran in the Vibrams (pronounced Vee-bruhms - check their website) and there were definitely pluses and minuses. With the Vibrams I was definitely less cautious about any rocks or sticks or anything on the road that could hurt my feet. I could tell that even though these "shoes" are supposed to be encouraging a barefoot type of stride, it was still a little different than running completely barefoot. My stride was a little longer than bare foot, but still a lot shorter than running with shoes. My toes also surprisingly felt a little constricted. Since they are in their own respective "toe pockets" they didn't really have any where to move. There are still positives to running in the Vibrams - like not having to worry quite as much about rocks and the like and I can run longer in them than completely barefoot. My mile was about 8:30 in the Vibrams. Once I took them off and went barefoot, it was like my feet were free again! I could stretch my toes out a lot easier which felt nice. My stride definitely got even shorter and I could tell I was running slower. My mile was about 9:00. But it was neat to feel the ground under my toes and even the temperature difference where the sun was shining on the pavement compared to where there was shade. I also like feeling the difference between asphalt and concrete and where it was painted. My feet were still a little raw after the run.


About a week after that run, I did a longer run with the Vibrams. I ran 2.5 miles in them and then 1/2 mile barefoot. The biggest thing I noticed after that run (and the 24-48 hours later) was my calves. Oh man...were they sore!! That is another big reason to take the barefoot running slow! It took a full day for my calves to reach full soreness. I did that run on a Wednesday afternoon and I think Thursday night into Friday morning was when I was the most sore. But I'm hoping a good side effect will be fantastic looking calves! :P

Sorry it has taken so long to write another post. Sometimes things just keep me away from the blog! But up next...a few good articles about Vibrams and barefoot running!

No comments:

Post a Comment