Monday, September 27, 2010

Barefoot with a Friend

Friday was an interesting barefoot day. I had planned on just doing maybe a 1/2 mile with some walking. But when I mentioned I was going out for a barefoot run, my boss wanted to try it out too! So we got outside and started our run. After the first 1/2 mile (when we should have stopped), we decided to go another 1/2. We did it quick too. Just over 8 minutes for the mile! I couldn't believe we ran that fast! I could tell that I didn't need to run any farther than a mile, but my toes didn't feel as bad as the last time I ran a mile. I was actually more concerned for my arches and my co-worker! He said he really liked it, but he could feel it the most under his left big toe. We kept walking a bit after the run and stopped to look at our feet. Now we knew why he could feel it where he did....he had sliced a big piece of skin under his big left toe!!!! Now, it was a fairly thin layer, but I'd say it was half the size of a quarter around! Not to mention the small blood blister on his second toe on the same foot. Eeek! I felt really bad that his first experience with barefoot running ended up like that. But, I don't think it will be his last barefoot run, which is good. Plus, it just goes to show you, you really do need to start out really slow and really small distances. You just don't know how your feet will react to their first barefoot run! They do need some "breaking in" just like a pair of shoes (except you can't replace your feet after 400-500 miles). Overall, a positive day with a few bumps. Thanks Winston! (maybe I'm not the only Hippie in the office!) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment